NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is a wonderful opportunity to establish a writing habit, prioritise your creativity, and get out of your own way. The challenge to write 50,000 words during the month of November means that you are forced to put process over product and to get the words down.
Since the freedom to write crap (Ann Lamott’s ‘shitty first draft’) was the exact thing which freed me to complete my first novel, I’m a huge fan of the technique. And even if this style of production doesn’t suit your process, the other elements – community and focus – are super-valuable, too. You can set your own word count target for NaNo (I always do) and join in anyway.
October is a wonderful month to prepare for NaNo. I recommend practical things like clearing your schedule as much as possible, prepping food and stocking up on easy-to-cook meals, and making your writing space inviting and comfortable.
The planners amongst you may want to start outlining, and the ‘discovery writers’ can concentrate on making notes, inspiration collages on Pinterest, soundtracks and so on. And we can all benefit from reading/watching great stories to refill our creative wells before the big push.
Something else I like to do when preparing to write is to read a writing book or two to get me in the mood. Which brings me to a rather wonderful opportunity to get a bunch of amazing writing and publishing resources for an amazing price.
I’ve been a fan of StoryBundles for years and am absolutely THRILLED to be included in the 2020 NaNoWriMo Writing Tools Bundle curated by Kevin J. Anderson.
This year’s bundle includes 17 books covering craft techniques, business, marketing, and career management. All for as little as $20.
Buy Link: storybundle.com/nano
How does it work?
For StoryBundle, you decide what price you want to pay. For $5 (or more, if you’re feeling generous), you’ll get the basic bundle of five books in any ebook format—WORLDWIDE.
- The 5 Day Novel by Scott King
- Stop Worrying; Start Writing by Sarah Painter
- The Well-Presented Manuscript by Mike Reeves-McMillan
- Simply Synopsis by Michelle Somers
- Business for Breakfast Vol. 13: NaNoWriMo for the Rest of Us by Leah Cutter
If you pay at least the bonus price of just $20, you get all five of the regular books, plus ELEVEN more books and a $150 video class!
- WMG Publishing Presents: How Can Your Business Survive the Downturn? by Dean Wesley Smith
- Turning Setbacks into Opportunity by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
- Essoe’s Guides to Writing Action Sequences and Sex Scenes by Joshua Essoe (two books in one!)
- Audio for Authors by Joanna Penn
- The In(s) and Out(s) of Series and Story Guides by C. Michelle Jefferies
- Mastering Amazon Descriptions by Brian D. Meeks
- Writing Better Fiction by Brent Nichols
- Killer Subject Lines by Andrea Pearson
- 13 Steps to Evil: How to Craft Superbad Villains by Sacha Black
- 10 Steps to Hero: How to Craft a Kickass Protagonist by Sacha Black
- The Nifty 15 by Honorée Corder and Brian D. Meeks
This bundle is available only for a limited time via http://www.storybundle.com. It allows easy reading on computers, smartphones, and tablets as well as Kindle and other ereaders via file transfer, email, and other methods. You get multiple DRM-free formats (.epub, .mobi) for all books!
It’s also super easy to give the gift of reading with StoryBundle, thanks to our gift cards – which allow you to send someone a code that they can redeem for any future StoryBundle bundle – and timed delivery, which allows you to control exactly when your recipient will get the gift of StoryBundle.
Why StoryBundle? Here are just a few benefits StoryBundle provides.
- Get quality reads: We’ve chosen works from excellent authors to bundle together in one convenient package.
- Pay what you want (minimum $5): You decide how much these fantastic books are worth. If you can only spare a little, that’s fine! You’ll still get access to a batch of exceptional titles.
- Support authors who support DRM-free books: StoryBundle is a platform for authors to get exposure for their works, both for the titles featured in the bundle and for the rest of their catalog. Supporting authors who let you read their books on any device you want—restriction free—will show everyone there’s nothing wrong with ditching DRM.
- Give to worthy causes: Bundle buyers have a chance to donate a portion of their proceeds to the Challenger Center for Space Education!
- Receive extra books: If you beat the bonus price, you’ll get the bonus books!